District 62A has had an incredible champion of LGBTQ issues in its Representative for 38 years. Karen Clark has been a tireless advocate, from passing early anti-discrimination laws all the way to securing marriage equality. I am committed to upholding and building on her legacy, making sure that the aggressive anti-LGBTQ policies coming from our nation’s capital do not erode the progress that has been made at the state level. And despite progress made on the front of LGBTQ equity, there is still work to be done.
I have been an activist and ally working on LGBTQ issues for more than a decade, fighting for state and local policies that advance equity. As State Representative for 62A, my LGBTQ policy will be an intersectional one that prioritizes making sure all voices are heard in the fight for equity. The issues we face in Minnesota are many, and they are connected. We cannot make gains in achieving equity for LGBTQ Minnesotans without simultaneously addressing systemic racism, housing stability, health care, educational attainment, income inequality, and more.
In representing our district and state, I will continue to seek collaboration with people and organizations – like OutFront Minnesota – that have been on the front lines of creating a state with equal protections, opportunities, and rights of everyone regardless of who they are or who they love. I will work hard to uplift the voices and stories of people affected first hand by discrimination, and follow their lead in drafting and supporting policies that acknowledge and secure basic human rights for all Minnesotans.
To that end, today I plan to join OutFront Minnesota at the Capitol for LGBTQ Lobby Day, where I will stand alongside LGBTQ people and other allies from around the state in advocating for the following, as identified on the organization’s event page:
- Support a Ban on Conversion Therapy for Youth and Vulnerable Adults
- Support the LGBTQ Protection Bill which Stops Defendants from Using the Victim’s Sexual Orientation or Identity as a Allowable Criminal Defenses for the Use of Force
- Support a Bill Prohibiting Discrimination of Trans Individuals by Health Plan Companies
- Support a Bill Calling for the Creation of an LGBTQ Council within the Government
- Support the Inclusion of Affirmative Consent Standards in Campus Sexual Assault Policies
- Support a Bill Protecting the Right to Protest
- Oppose a Bill Calling for Surrogacy Restrictions
- Oppose an Anti-Protest Bill
I am so appreciative of all the work OutFront Minnesota has done, and for the leadership of Karen Clark, whom I grateful to have as a mentor and close friend. I am proudly participating today in the LGBTQ Lobby Day. I hope you will join me.